The focus of this Course is experiencing the outdoors, building confidence in the outdoors and outdoor leadership. The course offers the opportunity to safely engage in a range of outdoor activities that pose challenges and encourage students to step outside their comfort zone. These include:
• Attaining a Surf Rescue Certificate
• Surfing and Kayaking
• Abseiling and Rock climbing
• Mountain Biking
Students will also:
• Develop self-awareness, personal skills, interpersonal and leadership skills
• Develop risk management strategies and basic first aid skills
• Develop environmental awareness and interpretation, including minimal impact, and students are invited to acknowledge their relationship with nature
Students are required to attend 2 expeditions and a 1 day excursion during which they will be assessed on Course outcomes. Most practical sessions in unit 1 are aquatic based. Students are required to participate in all of these sessions.
Where a student cannot attend an expedition or excursion, a medical note will be required.
As much of the unit is water based it is essential that students have the ability to swim 200m continuously in open water. Students should have a passion for outdoor pursuits and it is highly recommended that students have a good level of fitness, as this course is physically challenging.
Year 12 - Outdoor Education – General Course Code GTOED
© 2017 Mindarie Senior College